Australian Curriculum resources
In 2012, Queensland schools will begin implementing the new Australian Curriculum that supersedes the Essential Learnings curriculum. The following Water: Learn it for life! curriculum resources were written to assist teachers to implement the Australian Curriculum.
- Year 2 unit: Wonder of water (PDF, 3.8M)*
- Year 6 lesson sequence: Water is special (PDF, 1.5M)*
- Year 7 unit: Water cycles (PDF, 1.1M)*
- Whizzy's Incredible Journeys – pick-a-path book (PDF, 19M)* is a resource that can be used in both the Year 2 and 7 Science units. See also further Whizzy resources.
- Mapping our waterway—a lesson sequence using Google maps (PDF, 2.1M)*
- Explaining our catchment—a lesson sequence using conceptual diagrams (PDF, 3.4M)*
- Visualising water quality—an introductory guide to displaying water quality data using a simplified geographic information system (GIS) interface (PDF, 2.4M)*
Cross-curriculum priority: sustainability
- Lower primary school water audit (PDF, 16M)*.
If you have difficulties downloading from this web page, phone 07 3224 8412 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Essential Learnings resources
The Essential Learnings curriculum was published by the Queensland Studies Authority in 2007 and used in Years Preparatory–10 in Queensland schools until 2011. The Water: Learn it for life! resources were originally developed to align with the Essential Learnings curriculum.
Even though the original units are no longer relevant for the new Australian Curriculum, they still provide primary and middle years teachers with a bank of engaging lesson plans and activities addressing the following key elements of water education that remain relevant in Queensland classrooms: the water cycle, water conservation, water sources and storage, water efficiency, and water recycling and alternative water sources.
These resources can be downloaded from this website.
- Background Information for Teachers
- Year 1
- Years 2 to 3
- Years 4 to 5
- Years 6 to 7
The supporting material, Background Information for Teachers, includes all the information required to confidently deliver the lessons and activities.
* Requires Adobe Reader
Last updated 12 March 2013