A recycled water provider will not be able to supply recycled water unless it has an approved recycled water management plan (RWMP), a granted exemption or an exclusion decision has been made before the dates indicated below for its particular scheme.
Augmenting drinking water supplies, dual reticulation and irrigation of minimally processed food crops
- All schemes—before commencing supply of recycled water
Coal seam gas recycled water schemes
- New schemes commencing supply on or after 1 December 2010 must have either an approved RWMP or exclusion decision before supplying recycled water. If an exclusion decision is granted, the coal seam gas water is taken not to be recycled water for Chapter 3, other than section 199 and section 329J, of the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.
- Existing schemes not prescribed under a regulation must apply for an RWMP or exclusion decision within four months after 1 December 2010. The relevant approvals must be obtained within 15 months after 1 December 2010.
All other recycled water schemes
- New schemes
- Schemes commencing supply on or after 1 July 2008—one year after first beginning supply
- Existing schemes
- Schemes supplying recycled water prior to 1 July 2008—by 1 July 2014
The regulator has the discretion to shorten any transitional arrangements if required (e.g. to minimise public health risks or to ensure continuity of supply in a critical recycled water scheme).
Last updated 9 January 2013