Recycled water guidelines
Recycled water providers are required to meet mandatory requirements under the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.
The Department of Energy and Water Supply has prepared regulatory guidelines to enable recycled water providers to comply with the recycled water requirements of the Act.
- The Recycled Water Management Plan and Validation Guidelines (PDF)* provide information to recycled water providers and scheme managers about preparing a recycled water management plan (RWMP).
- The Recycled Water Management Plan Exemption Guideline (PDF, 500K)* provides guidance to recycled water providers applying for an exemption from having an approved RWMP.
- The Water Quality Guidelines for Recycled Water Schemes (PDF)* provide information on the minimum water quality criteria that apply to recycled water. The guideline also includes information on how control measures may affect what is considered an acceptable water quality.
- The Recycled Water Management Plan Audit Reporting Guideline (PDF)* provides information about preparing internal audit reports and regular audit reports for recycled water schemes with approved RWMPs.
- The Annual Reporting Guideline for Recycled Water Schemes (PDF)* provides information about when annual reports need to be prepared and what needs to be included.
- The Public Reporting Guideline for Recycled Water Schemes (PDF, 232K)* provides information to recycled water providers and scheme managers for preparing reports about recycled water and making these reports publicly available.
- The Coal Seam Gas Recycled Water Management Plan Guideline including Exclusion Decision Application Guideline (PDF, 738K)* and CSG Water Quality Requirements factsheet (PDF, 64K)* provide information to recycled water providers and scheme managers about preparing a CSG RWMP or an exclusion decision application.
The non-regulatory Incident Reporting Guideline for Recycled Water Schemes (PDF, 228K)* has been prepared to assist recycled water providers and scheme managers to meet the incident reporting requirements of the Act.
Regulations supporting the Act
The Act provides for regulations to be made about:
- prescribed incidents
- related entities in relation to the supply of recycled water sourced from wastewater
- entities in a critical recycled water scheme that own infrastructure for the supply only of recycled water
- fees for applications.
Currently no regulations have been made for any of the above.
Other sources of information
The Queensland Water Recycling Guidelines (PDF)* were developed before use of recycled water was regulated in the state. Parts 4, 5 and 6 of these guidelines are no longer relevant and have been replaced by the:
- Public Health Regulation
- Recycled Water Management Plan and Validation Guidelines
- Water Quality Guidelines for Recycled Water Schemes.
The Manual for Recycled Water Agreements in Queensland provides information and guidance on writing a contract to supply and use recycled water and includes a model agreement. It can be used as a reference for preparing recycled water agreements.
* Requires Adobe Reader
Last updated 19 March 2013