Terms of reference
The goal of the project is to develop a regional strategy that provides a framework for meeting urban, industrial, mining and agricultural water demand in the Wide Bay Burnett region for the next 50 years. The strategy aims to achieve optimum social, economic, cultural and environmental outcomes.
The strategy is being developed in response to representations from agricultural, urban and industrial water user groups for a coordinated approach for assessing water resources and water supply options in the Wide Bay Burnett region.
The strategy will:
- examine current water demands for urban, industrial and agricultural purposes
- estimate the additional water demand for anticipated regional growth
- determine the capacity of existing water supply facilities to meet current and future water demands
- recommend preferred water supply options to match demand while meeting social, economic, cultural and environmental benchmarks
- identify demand management measures and improve water-use efficiency
- examine alternatives for securing additional water supplies and/or secure sites to meet future water infrastructure needs, if available or required.
Last reviewed 23 March 2011
Last updated 5 June 2008