||Name and boundaries approved by Queensland Place Names Board 11 August 1975. Boundaries amended by Governor in Council 15 December 1990. Originally a creek name, used as a locality name from 1862 and a railway station name from 1875, probably derived from Yuggera language, Yugarabul dialect word tuwong, the onomatopoeic name for the koel or storm bird (Eudynamys orientalis). Refer F.J. Watson. Vocabularies of Four Representative Tribes of South Eastern Queensland. Brisbane, 1944, p.105. Boundary altered by the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy and Minister for Trade on 4 December 2009. Boundary between Toowong and Bardon amended by notification on 2 March 2012 vide CHQ022459/681.