||The name derived from the former town of Airlie and unbounded locality of Airlie Beach. Airlie was named following a request by the Lands Department in December 1935 for the Proserpine Shire Council to provide a name for a new sub-division on the coast. Then Chairman Robert Shepherd suggested Airlie and had it confirmed by Council 9 January 1936. Shepherd was born in Montrose, Scotland and probably had some association with the nearby Parish of Airlie. In 1959, in response to public demand, the name Airlie Beach was adopted officially by the Post Office but Lands Department records remained unchanged as Airlie. Named and bounded by the Minister for Natural Resources 28 January 2000. Airlie Beach comprises part of the former locality of Jubilee the area of which was also included in the town of Whitsunday on 31 January 1987. Regazetted by the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy and Minister for Trade on the 23 July 2010 due to the council amalgamations under the Local Government Reform Implementation Act 2007.