|| Derived from town and Mossman River, which was probably named after Hugh Mosman (1843- 1909) (alternate spelling used) one of the discoverers of gold at Charters Towers: or alternatively after Harriette Ann Mosman (his sister) ( - ) who was the second wife of Sir Thomas McIlwraith (1835-1900). The River was named by George Elphinstone Dalrymple (1826-1876) on 6 December 1873. Refer G.E. Dalrymple. "Narrative of the North-East Coast expedition, 1873". Queensland Votes and Proceedings, 1874, Vol.2, p.643. Named and bounded by the Minister for Natural Resources 8th September 2000. Regazetted by the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy on the 24 July 2009 due to the council amalgamations under the Local Government Reform Implementation Act 2007.