||Derived from feature named by Lieutenant James Cook RN (1728-1779), navigator, HM Bark Endeavour, 6 June 1770, probably after John Cleveland ( - ), Secretary to the Admiralty. Refer J.C. Beaglehole. The voyage of the Endeavour 1768-1771. Cambridge (UK), 1968, p.338. District named and bounded by Governor in Council 27 July 1991. Named and bounded by the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines & Energy 2 July 2004. Regazetted by the Minister for Natural Resources and Water on the 21 November 2008 due to the council amalgamations under the Local Government Reform Implementation Act 2007.