Code of practice for field trip
The aim of this activity is to allow the students to create a code of practice for investigation and testing in the field.
Science and Society
3.3 Students make predictions about the immediate impact of some applications of science on their community and environment, and consider possible pollution and public health effects.
Place and Space
PS 3.5 Students describe the values underlying personal and others’ actions regarding familiar places.
- paper and pens
Time: 30-45 minutes
- List the tests and assessments to be done during the upcoming field trip.
- List the areas/locations along the waterway where students will have to visit, e.g. bank, water’s edge, in the stream.
- Ask the students if their visit to a waterway will have an impact on the environment. Discuss their responses and create a class definition of minimal impact.
- Ask students to give reasons for reducing the impact we have on the environment.
Ask students how they could ensure that their visit to the waterway has a minimal impact on the environment.
Group students and allow them to list the behaviours that ensure/compliment minimal impact on an environment.
- Share small group ideas with the whole class.
- Create a code of practice for the field trip.
Last reviewed 3 September 2010
Last updated 16 June 2008