Planning sustainability education
Visit the website of the Department of Education and Training (DET) to find out about:
- school term dates and holidays
- names and addresses of schools in your area
- information about curriculum and initiatives maintained by DET includes science and Studies of Society and Environment
- your local outdoor and environmental education centre
- the Queensland Environmentally Sustainable Schools Initiative (QESSI)—an alliance of environmental educators.
- The Science Teachers Association of Queensland is the professional association of primary, secondary and tertiary level science teachers in Queensland.
- The Geography Teachers’ Association Queensland
Weedbusters is a national program that aims to raise awareness about the damage weeds cause. It culminates each October, with Weedbuster Week, which incorporates local on-ground weedbusting and site rehabilitation. The Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (DEEDI) provides weed and animal pest educational resources.
Researching environmental sustainability
The Science and Research section of this website provides access to the research activity undertaken by this Department.
Other research resources
- The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) science division has several sites dealing with environment and natural resource management:
- The Australian Government Caring for our Country program provides a good overview of environment and natural resource management activity across Australia.
- The Australian Government Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage, and the Arts sustainability education section has information for teachers, students and the community on sustainability education including publications, resources, web links and funding sources.
- The Australian Museum website includes a long list of fact sheets relating to biodiversity.
- The Australian Government Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) program funds a wide range of research centres (see CRC Directory) relating to sustainable environment and natural resource management.
- CSIRO has comprehensive research information including sustainability, protection of rivers, catchments and groundwater reserves, and contaminants in the environment.
- The Gould Group provides environmental education packages and education for sustainability.
- The Queensland Museum website has a wealth of information and publications on science and the environment and resources available for loan.
- EcoKids is a free, environmental education program that offers curriculum-linked materials and activities for Canadian elementary schools to engage in environmental action
- The ESD Toolkit a list of websites dealing with ecologically sustainable development.
Last updated 6 September 2010